Monday, October 20, 2008

Long Weekend

Well, this has been a long, but exciting, weekend for the Schaefer Family. Friday night, Harrison had an away football game at Whitewater High School. Hannah spent the night with my parents; and Harry and I actually got to go out--we went to Applebee's.

Saturday morning, bright and early, we took Harrison to the school for practice and the long bus ride to Warner Robins for the Heart of Georgia Band Competition. Harry and I went down and arrived around 5:00 pm. My parents also went down and brought Hannah with them. We enjoyed watching the bands perform. Some of the bands we had seen in Carrollton at the last competition, but some of them were new to us. They were all good. The music was very diverse--from classical to Michael Jackson's "Thriller." It was a lot of fun. Northgate got all Superior ratings. They came in 1st in the class in Drum Major, Color Guard, Percussion, and Over-all band. They also placed in the over-all competition in Color Guard and Percussion. They did phenomenally...we were so proud of them.



That night, we drove up to Macon and spent the night--we didn't get in to the room until about 11:30 pm. We were absolutely exhausted. We had every intention of going to church at the Macon Ward the next morning and never made it. I felt so guilty. Hannah needed her rest, though, because she had a gymnastics competition at 3:30 in the afternoon. We lounged around the hotel room and watched some movies. We got ready for the meet, finished packing up, checked out, and got some lunch before the competition. Hannah was so nervous that she could hardly eat her lunch. I was pretty nervous for Hannah myself. She had worked so hard this past week; and I was scared to death the Lord was going to smite her off the beam for us allowing her to compete on Sunday :c).

We got to the meet and Stacy took over the pep talk for Hannah. I guess it paid off. Hannah had her best meet yet. Her goal for the meet was to get straight 9's and earn 36 points over all. She came within .075 points of achieving that goal. She scored 9.075 on beam; 9.10 on bars; 9.150 on vault; and 8.600 on floor (she remembered to salute this time, though). She was so shocked by her first score that it took everything she had to not scream, shout, and jump up and down.

She ended up taking 2nd in beam, 4th in vault, 4th in floor, and 5th in bars. Her total score of 35.925 earned her 3rd place over all; and also qualified her for the State Gymnastics meet in December. We were so excited and proud of her.



We got back late last night and crashed. Thank heavens the only things going on this weekend are a football game, trunk-or-treat, and Harry's birthday (officially Monday the 27th). November 1st...well, that's a different story with Hannah competing in Woodstock and Harrison competing in Newnan. Give me strength :c)!

4 comments:

Louise said...

Talk about chasing your kids around!!!!!!!!!!! Way to go Harrison and Hannah, and Jen and Harry too!

Johnson said...

You have very active kids. Don't sweat the JBT race. It is cool. I have already registered so I will be doing it either way. I am sad that you won't be doing it, but I understand when you have kids that are very involved in activities. Maybe one day....

My sis, Karen is doing the Disney marathon.

Karen said...

Hi Jen! Thx 4 checking out my blog. I thought I'd check yours out, too, and I am super impressed by your kids! Wow. We are taking a break from sports right now and it is nice but we need to get back into it. It looks like you must be very very busy.

The PTC Classic was horrrrible. Ugh. But I'm hopeful for DC. I hear you are the lady to talk to about Disney. Do you know any tips for marathon weekend? I heard it is nice to stay in a resort on the monorail, but I think they're booked. I'd love to hear any insights you have! Thx. --Karen

Anonymous said...

What a weekend! I was wondering where you were on Sunday. Congratulations to everyone!

P.S. I stuck a couple of shower invitation in your mailbox tonight!