Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Excitement in Our Neighborhood

A couple people have called to check on us, so I thought I'd give the scoop (as I know it) here on the blog. There was an assault and robbery in my neighborhood yesterday morning around 8:00 am. If you are looking at our house, it took place to the right and just around the corner from our house (two doors down from where Erin and Jeff Halliday used to live--the Colonel's old house, if you're reading this, Erin). This is what I've gathered.

Mr. Horton (the man that lives in that house) has a business in Atlanta and deals mostly in cash (which seems really fishy to me). Three armed men laid in wait for him to come out of his house. They assaulted him with the butt of a handgun, demanded his keys and his money, and went into his house. They beat Mrs. Horton, who managed to get away and got to a neighbor's. The robbers came out of the house to find another neighbor (a Merriwhether Police Officer who lives on the street behind me) holding a gun on them and telling them to drop their weapons. By this time, my next door neighbor, Jenn, heard her dogs, Maddie and Skylar, barking and looked out her bathroom window to see what was going on. She saw the three men in the street with guns pointed. The robbers shot at the officer; and the officer returned fire. As Jenn was looking out of the window, she heard a thud on the outside wall above her head. It turned out to be a stray bullet being shot into her house. The robbers stole Mr. Horton's truck and got away. They dumped the truck near Canongate Elementary (causing the school to go into lockdown) and made their getaway in a Silver 2009 Dodge Journey. While all this was going on, I was sleeping in my bedroom. I had every intention of getting up and going running yesterday morning, and I wasn't a bit tired. But after Harry left at 7:30 am, I must have dozed off again; and I didn't wake up until about 9:40 am. I heard no sirens, I saw no police cars. I did hear a lot of helicopters, but didn't think much of it because of us living so near Falcon Field. I had been feeling guilty all day about not running and falling back to sleep...what a blessing!

Last night, we watched the news and learned all the details. Then, this morning as I was scraping the ice off of my windshield to take the kids to school, I saw a silver Dodge drive past my house. I thought I was going to pee myself! I called Harry and asked him what he thought I should do. He said that it wasn't being stupid, and we couldn't be too careful; and that I should call the sheriff. I called the sheriff's department who promptly (30 minutes later) sent a car around to patrol the area. To my knowledge, the men have not been caught. Thus ends an exciting day in Line Creek Cove :c) Here is one of the news stories on the incident.

5 comments:

Johnson said...

Holy Crap Jen! That is so scary! I hope your neighbors are ok and that the police are able to catch these guys. Keep us udated.

Anonymous said...

OK, that's scary! Aren't you lucky to have a policeman as a neighbor? Glad you and the other neighbors are fine - I've been in that house a hundred times!

Clayfrogger (a.k.a. Delores) said...

Glad to know you are okay. I was worried.

Louise said...

Holy Scary Batman!!! Wow, glad everyone was okay!! Ya never think things like that are going to happen so close to you!

Joe and Jake Est. 1990 said...

Coweta County vigilante justice at your service! Glad all is well!