Sunday, September 28, 2008

Les Miserables

Well, this has been a fun/interesting weekend. It started Friday evening when Harry surprised me with tickets to see Les Miserables at the Fox for my birthday. I've read the book (in English and in French--it's one of my favorites). My Sophomore year of college, my roommates were OBSESSED with the music (So, I've had "Master of the House" stuck in my head for decades :c)). But, I've never seen the musical (GASP!) So, this was a big treat for me.

I was so excited. We had great seats in the Loge. Harry isn't a big musical person. So, I have to answer some quick questions for him sometimes. Well, part way through the first act (right when Fantine is dying), this JERK two seats down from me pokes me HARD several times in a row on my leg (I have a small bruise from it--No joke!) and, in a snide, condescending voice, says, "It is very quiet up here and we can hear everything you are saying. You need to be quiet." WHAT?! EXCUSE ME!?--was all I could think.

I was shocked. We were whispering in each other's ear; and it's not like we were talking constantly...only occasionally (maybe 3 times in the last 40 minutes) and not for any length. There's no way! I turned back to Harry and told him that we were told to be quiet. I sat there for two minutes longer and just got madder. I knew that Harry wouldn't enjoy this if he was confused; and I thought it was unfair for him to have paid for these tickets and gone because of me and not understand it. So, I leaned back over to the guy and said, "We won't be bothering you anymore...Thanks for ruining my birthday present from my husband!" We got up and went to some other empty seats above us (near where all the ushers were sitting...and commenting/talking occasionally, I might add). They were better seats and we totally enjoyed the rest of the play.

I just couldn't believe that a man would lay his hands (or fingers in this case) on a woman in such a manner. Harry even offered to go dump his water over the guy's head, but I told him that was taking it a bit too far. This guy was with his two teenage boys; and Harry said it was probably his weekend with the kids since he obviously didn't know how to be polite to a woman and he was probably divorced :c). That made me laugh and lightened the situation a bit.

Anyway, I got to see Les Mis. I enjoyed it immensely! On the way home, I asked Harry where this musical ranked in all the ones he's seen (we've seen 7 live). And, I was surprised to hear him say that it was tied for second with Phantom of the Opera. Wow! Of course his all-time, never to be unseated, favorite is still Monty Python's Spamalot, which is still on the absolute bottom of my ranking list :c). He did make a comment about how he wants to go and see Jersey Boys in the Spring. I'm not looking that gift horse in the mouth! That will be our next "musical" adventure.

4 comments:

Trent and Rhonda Wardwell said...

I'm so jealous! I've wanted to see that play too. I've been to music concerts, the movie...but never the play... Troy/Kristin and Stan/Laura went and I was sad to hear my hubby wasn't in on the bunch with purchasing. (He's not much of a muscial type either). Oh well, it sounds like you guys ended up having a great time.

Joe and Jake Est. 1990 said...

Did you cry at the end?? I can't help it ! Glad you had a good birthday!

Clayfrogger (a.k.a. Delores) said...

I love that play and hopefully you had a good time in spite of everything.

Labadie Family said...

Knowing how much you LOVE that play, I'm sorry it wasn't perfect! It never ceases to amaze me at the nerve some people have--still, I am so glad you got to go and that it turned out great in the end. Kudos to Harry for a GREAT gift!

Happy Late Birthday as well!! (Wish I could keep better tabs on those kinds of special days!)