Friday, April 11, 2008

Spring Break 2008 Part 1

So, I can do this trip justice, I'm going to divide into parts. We left Sharpsburg at about 12:15 pm on April 6th and headed for Hilton Head Island, South Carolina, and the Disney's Hilton Head Island Resort (yes, this is the same resort we visited for my birthday back in September). We arrived at the security gate at around 5:00 pm to a familiar Disney phrase--"Please drive through to the main building, and Welcome Home."

We checked in and went to our two bedroom condo right next to the Big Dipper Swimming Hole. The condos have full kitchens. So, there was no need to go to a restauant. We brought dinner with us--beef stew over mashed potatoes that I had done in the crockpot the day before. While I was reheating dinner and baking some rolls, the kids unpacked and checked out the activity sheet for the week. Campfire at 8:00 pm that night! So, we ate dinner, cleaned up, and headed over to the fire pit (the one shaped like Mickey's head). Hannah loved it! Harrison got eaten by bugs, and Harry and I realized that we had forgotten to pack jackets (it was about 54ยบ out). Luckily, they had some hoodies on sale for the kids at the mercantile. Then, we sang campfire songs, learned the "cheeky-cheeky" song, heard some "spooky" stories, and then headed back to the room for dessert.
Monday was pretty miserable. It was overcast and drizzled a little off and on. We went to the grocery store, picked up some sweatshirts for Harry and I, and went back to the room. The kids still went in the pool despite the yuckiness of the day. Since our condo was right at the pool, I could watch them from our back porch and never had to actually go down to the pool--which meant I could sit in the rocking chair with my sweatshirt, socks, and blanket on me and monitor the purpleness of Hannah's lips in semi-comfort. It didn't last long before they jumped into the hot tub and then came back up to the room for a hot shower.
Harry and I left the kids in the room to make grilled cheese and tomoto soup and watch movies while we went to a wonderful restaurant called "The Old Fort Pub." Harry had the She Crab Soup, the Cesar Salad, and the Flat Iron Steak. I had the Corn Chowder, Butter Bibb Salad, and Wild Atlantic Shrimp & Garnellini pasta. It was divine; and the view was beautiful!


Tuesday was slightly better for the weather. The kids went back in the pool--I was still on the back porch, though. They also played pool at the main building called "Big Murggie's Den," and played some Shuffle Board. That evening, we all went to the Beach House and enjoyed a genuine Low Country Boil. It was WONDERFUL!!! They had: salad, hush puppies, apple cider marinated pork tenderloin, green beans with bacon, chicken fingers, macaroni and cheese, catfish, boiled shrimp, corn on the cobb, red potatoes, sausage, corn bread, cheesecake, peach cobbler, and lemonade. Mmmmm, Mmmmm! We didn't go away hungry that night. Then, after dinner, we rolled ourselves back to the room. Hannah wanted to go to the Sweet Goodnights Story Time at Big Murggie's Den. They read four books to the kids--all in PJ's--and served milk and cookies. It was so cute. Then we headed to the Community Hall and played Goofy Bingo and Trivia. Instead of calling out numbers, each board has different pictures of Disney characters. The Cast Members call out clues and everyone has to figure out which character they are talking about. For example: This character's favorite thing to do is read...Belle! Hannah won a Hershey bar for answering the trivia question: What does Simba mean in Swahili? It means "lion." We also learned that Rafiki means "friend." It was a lot of fun.

Well, that was Sunday through Tuesday. We'll do Wednesday through Friday next time...

3 comments:

Jenkinson Family said...

Sounds like ya'll had a lot of fun. Shay

Kasey and Broden said...

Wow!! Next time to go on vacation I want to go. Sounds like you had a great time.

Elizabeth said...

You guy do some of the neatest things. What great memories!