The third Thursday in November is traditionally known as Thanksgiving...everybody knows that. BUT, at the Schaefer household, it is also known as Planning Day--for Black Friday. For those that don't know, Black Friday is the largest shopping day of the year. It is traditionally known as "Black" Friday because that is the day that stores start to turn a profit, or make their way into "the black." Okay, history lesson over.We spent Thanksgiving the same way we have for the last three years. We sleep in a little, we make a big breakfast (usually consisting of Biscuits and Gravy, fruit, and Cinnamon Rolls), watch some holiday favorites on TV, and Harry goes for a newspaper run. Then, we go to the Clark's house for Thanksgiving dinner/Planning session.
Brian Clark is a closet gourmet chef. He makes the BEST turkey, dressing, sweet potato casserole, and to top it off Pumpkin Mousse for dessert. It is Heavenly! This year, he did a maple glaze on the turkey breast that was to die for. Big Kudos to Big B for a FAB Thanksgiving spread! He let me do the mashed potatoes and corn--not because I'm incapable of doing anything else...he just really likes to cook and has no room for those two items on the stove or in the oven :c). I'm happy to oblige.
After dinner, every year for as long as I can remember, Harry pulls out the Sale Ads from the newspaper and he and Brian start putting together a game plan--which stores to hit first, what they are going to buy, etc... They are usually out of their respective houses by 4:30 am on Friday morning (except for last year when they spent the night in the parking lot of Best Buy so they could buy Plasma screen TV's). They are usually home by 1:00 pm; and almost everything they buy is NOT for any of us. It's for EBAY. They buy hundreds of dollars worth of merchandise and turn around and sell it on EBAY. It disappoints the kids every single year, but we basically get Christmas for free by doing this. You see, they make back everything they spent on Black Friday PLUS what we've spent, or will spend, on Christmas presents. You've got to love the ambition :c).
Lori and I don't mind, either. They could be other places doing worse things; AND we get to stay in bed and sleep in. It's a win/win situation if you ask us.
Anyway, we had a great Thanksgiving as always. We are now gearing up for Christmas and looking forward to all that it has to bring this season. Hope each of you had a wonderful holiday, too.
2 comments:
Wow! Talk about shop-a-rama! I was there too, I must admit. Every year...running through the stores at 6am...in my PJ's...asking myself...why am I here? Of course, I'm not on the same kind of quest as Harry is - he's way out of my league.
LOVE the family picture!
Hey, you little blogging stinker!! You've tapped into to our secret world! It's seriously addicting! I love your blog and seeing your cute family- now I can spy on you more regularily!!
Post a Comment