Friday, August 22, 2008

Boy Scout Court of Honor

On August 20th, there was a Boy Scout Court of Honor for Troop 137. It went very well.
Joe Hanks was the MC for the evening. Tim Carlock is the Scoutmaster, but he was unable to attend the Court of Honor due to his work schedule. So, Harry Lawson and Joy Coles, both from the Troop Committee, presented the awards on his behalf. All of the boys in the Troop received awards.
The first awards presented were the merit badges. Harrison received 9 merit badges putting his total merit badge count at 36 (You only have to earn 21 to earn the Eagle rank). He earned Swimming, Personal Management, Family Life, Emergency Preparedness, Basketry, Rowing, Leatherwork, Archery, and Golf. Of these 9 merit badges, 4 of them were Eagle required. So, he has earned all the badges required to earn the Eagle rank.

After the presentation of the merit badges, we were treated to some entertainment. We have some incredibly talented young men in our Troop. At Summer Camp in June, they were required to come up with a skit to present in front of the whole camp. Our boys decided to re-write a song from Disney's movie Mulan --"I'll Make a Man Out of You." They rewrote and sang the song known now as "I'll Make a Scout Out of You." They won the competition with this rendition. They performed it again for friends and family at the Court of Honor. We were all quite amazed and impressed. They even had harmonies and parts--it was spectacular!

After a rousing applause, the rank advancements were presented. There were 7 boys that were presented with rank advancements that evening. Harrison was presented with his Life rank advancement. It is tradition that as a scout advances, he presents his mother with a miniature pin representing each rank. I keep mine on a red, white, and blue ribbon that I wear on Court of Honor nights. Harrison will be eligible for his Eagle rank advancement on December 15th. All he has to do is serve as the Troop Scribe for 6 months and do his Eagle Service Project. He wants to have his Eagle Court of Honor before he turns 15 (in Februray). I really think he can accomplish this goal. We are so proud of him and all of the other boys and their accomplishments.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Harrison, so glad to see the pictures from your court of honor! So sorry I was not able to drive down, although I had planned on it. You have achieved further in rank than anyone else in our family! We are really proud of you!! Onward to Eagle...
Love,
Nana and Grandpop