Tuesday, May 6, 2008

Huey Lewis and the News

So, I guess you could say "I Love the '80's" for Harry and I this past week. There were only three bands while I was growing up that I ever wanted to see--Bon Jovi, Huey Lewis and the News, and Chicago. Well, I can now say that I only have one band left on my concert bucket list :c). Harry and I went to see Huey Lewis and the News at the Fred last Saturday. I was really excited. They had come to Chastain last year and I wasn't able to go then. I wasn't letting it happen again. I also didn't make the same mistake I did at the Bon Jovi concert--I took my camera with me.


We get to our seats and look around at the people sitting around us--uh, where are all the 30 & 40 somethings? I'm not joking...the average age of the people sitting around us was 55+. Then, the band comes out on stage and everyone around us is politely clapping--you've got to be kidding me. I looked at Harry and said, "This stinks!" I wanted to get up and sing along and dance, but that wasn't permited until everyone around me had had at least 3 drinks each. It wasn't until his encore that everyone was really up and whooping and hollering. I was so disappointed. Harry actually surprised me a little, though. We'd be sitting there and all of a sudden he'd lean over and start singing the words to the songs with this big grin on his face. I think he was trying to cheer me up. He's such a nut. We did have fun, though, even though everyone around us were sticks in the mud. He sang a lot of his big hits--"Doing it all for my baby," "I want a new drug," "The Power of Love," "Back in Time," "Working for a Living," "It's All Right," "Do You Believe in Love?", etc... However, he still didn't sing my favorite song--"Naturally. I love that song and it isn't on any of the greatest hits albums. I guess I'll have to see if it's on one of the mp3 download sites.






We also ate at a really good restaurant before the concert--Bia's in the Avenues. Harry had the Chicken Parmigiana and I had a pepperoni and mushroom calzone. I really enjoyed the calzone. It was YUM-O! Harry said the Chicken Parm was really good, too. Herb and Elizabeth Roggermeir recommended it to us. So, we decided to try it out; and, lo and behold, guess who should be there--Herb and Elizabeth! They were having dinner with Stan and Laura Johnson. It was really good to see everyone as we aren't given the opportunity to see everyone from the Peachtree City Ward very often anymore.

So, in conclusion for the week: Bon Jovi--AWESOME!! And still a "hottie!"; Bia's--Really good food! Definitely will go there again!; Huey Lewis and the News--Great Band! Glad I got to see them; The crowd at the Fred (at least the people around us)--Sticks in the MUD!!

3 comments:

herb said...

I wonder how Huey and his band felt performing for such a lame crowd! Next time let us know, we might just go with you guys. Of course now you pretty much have been to all the bands we would go to see. I can't quite see you guys and Elizabeth coming along to some of my favorite 80's Euro-Pop bands with me....

Johnson said...

I have been to the Fred before and had a similar experience. I think that a lot of senior citizen in PTC have season passes. Sorry to hear that your experience was a little dull. It was fun running into you guys at Bia's. So, my next goal is the Chickamauga battlefield half-marathon on Nov. 8. You want to do it together? Or there is the Silver Comet Trail half marathon. Let me know if you are interested.

The Schaefer's said...

Laura,
I think I'm going to pass on those races. Everytime bad weather comes our way, my injuries start twinging; and it reminds me of how painful physical therapy was. Ouch! Maybe next year.