Saturday, May 31, 2008

Hannah's Accident

Well, the summer is starting off with a bang! That would be the word to describe the sound of Hannah's face hitting the couch frame after she lost her balance. Wednesday at about 5:00 pm, Hannah and Harrison were up in the Bonus Room watching a movie. I hear this blood curdling scream and see Hannah flying out of the Bonus Room and down the stairs. I immediately called Harrison down since they had been sniping at each other all day. He had no clue what had happened; because he actually had nothing to do with it this time.

Hannah gets to me and her hands are over her face. I pull her hands back to see that she has a line 1/4 inch wide and about 4 inches long going diagonally across the bridge of her nose; and the tip of her nose is going a different direction than it should be. But luckily, there is no blood. I freaked out! I called Harry and told him that I needed him home immediately. Then, I called the doctor. Of course, the answering service picks up and tells me someone will call me back in a little bit (which in panicked mom time seems like an eternity). In the meantime, I lay Hannah down on the couch and have her put a package of frozen peas on her face; and Harrison starts to gather everyone's shoes into the living room (standard procedure for him when he knows we are probably headed to the Emergency Room :c) ).

The doctor didn't call me back--Children's Healthcare of Atlanta did. Just as a side note, if you ever need medical advice about anything after 5 pm, or in the middle of night, or on a holiday, Children's has a hotline that you can call with on-staff nurses. It's 770-250-KIDS. I've used them many times...they are WONDERFUL!! The nurse was very nice and walked me through answering all sorts of questions to which I had to actually stop and think several times; because the only thing going through my head at the time was, "Oh my gosh, her face! Her face, what about her face?"

Anyway, there was no trip to the Emergency Room--they said they couldn't do anything for her. So, we went to see Indiana Jones instead. I know, it doesn't make any sense, but she said she felt fine. She only has pain when someone touches her nose, when she coughs, laughs, or sneezes. She looks like she has been through a prize fight and lost, though. Her nose, of course, is broken. She still has a lot of swelling and bruising. We'll have to wait until all of the clears up before the doctor can assess what to do next.

In the meantime, she has gymnastics camp starting Monday. I just pray she doesn't fall and break anything else. Hooray for summer--UGH!

4 comments:

herb said...

I guess she wanted to see Indy back in action really bad, huh?

Anonymous said...

Sweet little Hannah! I can't believe her nose is broken. She looked pretty good the other night though, she's one tough cookie.

Trent and Rhonda Wardwell said...

Wow, I'm glad she is alright. I guess I'll miss the live shot...hopefully it will be healed before we are back. But I know that panic mode all too well.

Louise said...

Hannah, you are one tough cookie! You should have been starring in the Indiana Jones movie as a stunt double! :-) Hope you feel better soon!