Every year between the second weekend in April and the first weekend in June, The Georgia Renaissance Festival comes to town. It is both interesting and horrifying all at the same time. The Northgate Band Boosters has worked out a deal with the RenFest to allow the kids/families to work and earn money for their band accounts (to pay for band camp, equipment, trips, etc...). They do odd jobs like pick up trash, work in the drink stands, and help out with supplying the drink stands. Harry, Harrison, and I worked both this year and last year. BUT...we've never actually been for fun. So, my mom, dad, Hannah, and I went this past weekend while Harry and Harrison worked.We got there way before opening so we could get a good parking spot. Unle
ss you've been to a Star Trek convention, or the midnight showing of any Star Wars, Rocky Horror Picture Show, or Superhero type movies, you've never seen anything like this before in your life. Many people come in costume complete with "peace tied" swords and daggers (meaning they are tied with leather and can't be unsheathed). These costumes can be quite elaborate and fascinating. So, it is often difficult to determine who is an "official" character and who's just a character (ps-the "official" characters wear cast buttons denoting them as such). The Puss in Boots character was NOT official. Dad had an encounter with an official characther, though. He was "tagged" by the Kissing Wench before we even manage to get inside. Too funny! I told him to sit down, but he didn't listen. Next time, he'll listen :c).
ss you've been to a Star Trek convention, or the midnight showing of any Star Wars, Rocky Horror Picture Show, or Superhero type movies, you've never seen anything like this before in your life. Many people come in costume complete with "peace tied" swords and daggers (meaning they are tied with leather and can't be unsheathed). These costumes can be quite elaborate and fascinating. So, it is often difficult to determine who is an "official" character and who's just a character (ps-the "official" characters wear cast buttons denoting them as such). The Puss in Boots character was NOT official. Dad had an encounter with an official characther, though. He was "tagged" by the Kissing Wench before we even manage to get inside. Too funny! I told him to sit down, but he didn't listen. Next time, he'll listen :c).
After we got inside, we looked around in several of the shops and encountered Mother Goose and her geese. I've never seen such tame fowl before :c). The one goose even gave Hannah a hug. We went into several of the costume stores and Mom got some ideas to make some costumes for next year (I might as well have a costume seeing as how I have to wear one when I work in the drink carts and it looks like I'll be working RenFest for the next 7 years).We got Hannah's hair braided (way cool!), went to a couple of shows (loved the Lip
izzan stallions and the Border Collie demonstration), and ate some lunch. Of course, we had to get our drinks from the stand that Harry was working that day. Did I mention that he had to wear a costume, too?...looking good babe :c). We saw Harrison, too, but I don't have any pictures of him in his day glow, neon, "Grello" (that's a combination of green and yellow) shirt that all of the Northgate grounds crew a
re required to wear. After lunch, we went and Hannah showed her mad archery skills. She learned how to shoot last year while on our trip to Vero Beach. We were impressed by how well she did.
izzan stallions and the Border Collie demonstration), and ate some lunch. Of course, we had to get our drinks from the stand that Harry was working that day. Did I mention that he had to wear a costume, too?...looking good babe :c). We saw Harrison, too, but I don't have any pictures of him in his day glow, neon, "Grello" (that's a combination of green and yellow) shirt that all of the Northgate grounds crew a
re required to wear. After lunch, we went and Hannah showed her mad archery skills. She learned how to shoot last year while on our trip to Vero Beach. We were impressed by how well she did. 
We encountered several of the official characters including King Henry VIII and Queen Anne Boleyn; but Hannah's favorite, of course, was the Fairy Queen and her court. They were holdin
g High Tea at the Peacock Tea Room and allowed Hannah to join them for a quick picture. The Mayor apparently had crashed their party, too. We headed back to the front, but not before Hannah tried on some hot pink devil horns and we both tried on some elf ears (sorry no pictures).
g High Tea at the Peacock Tea Room and allowed Hannah to join them for a quick picture. The Mayor apparently had crashed their party, too. We headed back to the front, but not before Hannah tried on some hot pink devil horns and we both tried on some elf ears (sorry no pictures). It was a fun day; and I managed to get out of there without spending all of the $40 that I got out of the ATM before we went. So, here are a few tips for going:
- Go to an ATM OUTSIDE of the RenFest (there's one inside, but the fee is HUGE)
- Everything there costs and it isn't cheap (Bring small bills--10's, 5's, & 1's)
- Make sure and listen to characters and interact with them.
- Wear Sunscreen....let me say it again....WEAR SUNSCREEN!
- Let the kids wear costumes--there are fairies, pirates, wenches, you name it.
- Have fun!
See ya next year!!!


1 comment:
I hadn't even heard of this until this year. It sounds like a lot of fun.
Post a Comment