Thursday, June 11, 2009

Star Wars Weekends

A long time ago in a galaxy
far, far away...

Well, actually it was just last week and it happened in Florida...
We went down on Sunday with one very specific new experience in mind--Star Wars Weekends at Disney's Hollywood Studios. If you are even just a casual Star Wars fan, this is an event for you. The characters are out in their full regalia--Darth Vader, Darth Maul, Luke Skywalker, Princess Leia, Ewoks, Storm Troopers, and even lesser known Jedi Knights. There's just something about seeing childhood characters come to life right before your eyes. I don't know any child of the '70's that wouldn't let out a small squeal upon seeing Stormtroopers atop the front gates and Sandpeople and Jawas walking down the street. It was definitely a sight to behold. Unfortunately, we got very little footage of the actual event and characters. It was EXTREMELY hot and the characters just couldn't stay out for very long. Every time we tried to get in line to get our pictures taken, the characters had to go inside to cool off :c(. I did find some FABULOUS footage of just about the funniest thing I've seen in a long time on YouTube, though. I won't post the actual video on the blog, but you can check it out on my Facebook page, or here. I won't give it all away, but let's just say if you don't find Chewbacca and the Jawas jamming out to modern day music funny, well, there's got to be something wrong. And the T-shirts we saw...too, too funny. We didn't get any because they're kind of those you-had-to-be-there type t-shirts, but they still warranted a chuckle.
Bottom line, we had a fun time seeing a bunch of people in costume (and I'm not talking about the actual Disney cast members), quoting the movies with other Star Wars geeks, and looking at the kitschy souvenirs. Would we think about going again...oh yeah!

No comments: