Well, I've been working hard on getting together our three months' supply of food storage (I wish my pantry was this stocked and this big :c)). It's not been as easy as I thought it would be. I've heard of families eating the same thing every Monday, or Friday, etc... Not my family. We eat a lot of different recipes and we enjoy them all. So, narrowing our eating down to 15 recipes to be duplicated six times (eating each recipe 2x a month to keep it rotated) to get our 3-months' supply has been a difficult task. But I have managed to come up with a few that we can all agree on that we enjoy enough to eat twice a month.One of the recipes that we've dubbed "3-months' supply worthy" I got off of SugarDoodle in her recipes section. It is for Sweet & Sour Meatballs. We call them Hawaiian Meatballs; and my kids LOVE them. The only differences we've made in the recipe is that we use the frozen homestyle meatballs that you can buy in the bags in the freezer section of the grocery store (not that healthy, but storable and easy in a pinch), rice wine vinegar, and brown sugar. We also serve them over brown rice instead of white rice--you can store uncooked brown rice in your freezer to prevent it from going rancid. So here is how this recipe would break down for a 3 months' supply:
- 3 bags of meatballs (there are 80 meatballs in a bag and we go through 40 a meal, or 1/2 a bag)
- 6 cans of pineapple
- 1 bag of brown sugar
- 1 bottle Rice Wine vinegar
- 1 box cornstarch
- 2 bags brown rice
- 6 bags of frozen oriental steam-in-bag veggies
There you have it 3-months' supply of Hawaiian meatballs--enough for 6 meals. I thought I'd post this in case anyone else was having as difficult of time as I was with this task. I've got some other recipes if anyone is interested...just let me know.
1 comment:
Kudo's for you guys! I need more wheat! ahhh!
Post a Comment