Thursday, July 7, 2011

What have we been up to lately?

Well, it's been a while since I posted last (try 10 months!). So, instead of trying to play catch up, I'll just let you know what has been going on recently.
The first week of June, the kids and I headed to Ohio to see my grandmother and sister. Two days into our trip, Grandma and I drove Hannah over to Woodward, Pennsylvania to Camp Woodward for gymnastics camp for the week. We drove the 5 1/2 hours to camp and then turned around and drove back to Grandma's house. It made for a very long day; and the drive is scenic, but lacks places to stop along the way. So, you're pretty much stuck in the car the entire time. So, while Hannah was at camp flipping and flying, Harrison stayed with my sister and played video games; and I got some much needed alone time with my grandma. Harrison and I made a trip to Cedar Point in Sandusky, Ohio and rode a lot of really fun rides. There were a few that I just couldn't make myself go on, but for the most part we rode everything together. It was a fun time. A few days after our Cedar Point trip, it was time to go pick up Hannah. So, Grandma and I got in the car (again) and drove to State College, PA where we spent the night (Hannah had to be picked up at 9:00 am on Saturday morning). We picked her up the next morning and drove back to Ohio. We thought that she would be very talkative and tell us all about camp; but instead, she slept the entire way back and we only got snippets of what happened at camp. She must have worked hard and had a good time :). The kids and I drove home on Monday and made pretty good time. All in all, a pretty good trip. We got to eat good food, see family, and have some fun.
On July 4th, we had fun. For the first time in about 3 years, Hannah wasn't in the local parade. So, we decided to sleep in and do nothing for a majority of the day. Then, around 5:30, we headed to the golf course to set up camp for the fireworks. We had fun talking with friends and eating sub sandwiches and homemade cookies. Things were going splendidly until about 8:30 pm when the skies began to turn black and look like they were going to swallow us all whole. Luckily, things held off until most of the way through the fireworks display. We had the fireworks in front of us and lightning and thunder behind us. We all abandoned ship 3/4 of the way through the fireworks to head to the car. It was just in time, too. The skies opened up on us halfway home. Overall, a great Independence Day.

1 comment:

Labadie Family said...

Wow! Your weather sounds as crazy as ours has been - with a little more beauty in those lightning bolts. Lots of traveling going on!!! Hope all keeps going well for you guys - hugs to you and your not-so-kiddos!